For arthritis-affected people, daily life can be really painful and troublesome.
For instance, they even have to think twice before using a generic can opener with their hand. It’s because applying pressure on any tool with the hands can cause joint pain in the elbow and palm for them. That’s pathetic, isn’t it?
That’s why we think the best can opener for arthritis-affected people should be electrically driven. Yes, you guessed it right. Electric automatic can openers (which have their own motorized action) are the ultimate solution for people with arthritis.
But, there are hundreds of electric automatic can openers in the current market. Which one should you choose? Not to worry! That’s where we come into play. We’ll help you choose the best one that will best fit your needs.
So, without further ado, let’s get straight into it!
- Which Type Of Can Opener Is Best For People With Arthritis?
- Best Can Opener For Arthritis: 7 Top Picks For You
- 1. Hamilton Beach Electric Automatic Can Opener – Best For Senior People
- 2. ZYLISS Electronic Can Opener – Best Simplistic Automatic Can Opener
- 3. Hamilton Beach OpenStation Can Opener – Best Multi-opener
- 4. Black And Decker Can Opener – Best Under Counter Can Opener
- 5. Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety LidLifter – Best Handheld Automatic Can Opener
- 6. Tornado F4 Can Opener – Dedicated For Arthritis Patients
- 7. Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Can Opener – Best For Professional Use
- Buying Guide [What To Look For When Buying Can Opener For Arthritis Patients]
Which Type Of Can Opener Is Best For People With Arthritis?
As we have already indicated above, people who have arthritis need a tool that is easy to use. Meaning, arthritis affected people should not use generic can openers where you have to press very hard with your hand. Instead, people with arthritis should only use electric can openers.
It’s because electric can openers use electricity to generate force/pressure with their own motor. As a result, it becomes very easy to cut open any type of can with electric can openers. you would only have to press a button to open a can with an electric can opener.
Therefore, as you can see, even opening multiple cans with electric can openers will not affect arthritis-affected people at all. That’s why the best can openers for arthritis-affected patients are only those that have high-quality electric motors and that can open cans within seconds.
Best Can Opener For Arthritis: 7 Top Picks For You
Although there are hundreds of electric can openers in the current market, not all of them provide the best service.
Which is why we have decided to pick the top 7 can openers for you. Below, we have elaborated why these can openers are the top choices in the current market.
Note: In order to pick these 7 can openers, we have compared and evaluated lots of products from online marketplaces. Plus, we have analyzed public reviews of each product before recommending them.
So, here we go:
1. Hamilton Beach Electric Automatic Can Opener – Best For Senior People
Senior citizens who are affected with arthritis will have a very hard time using lower-grade can openers.
Keeping them in mind, we have decided to pick this particular product which is a very famous automatic can opener from Hamilton. And, it can open any can within seconds with only one tap of a finger.
- The best thing about this electric can opener is that it comes with a 165-watt motor that can impose excessive pressure/force on the can. As a result, it only takes one second for this can opener to automatically open a can.
- Plus, this machine is perfectly suitable to open both pop-top and regular types of cans. Therefore, with this automatic can opener at hand, opening all types of frozen foods, drinks, etc. should not be a problem at all.
- Additionally, you won’t have to use both of your hands to operate this automatic can opener. All you have to do is place the metal can inside this can opener and press the button on the top.
- Moreover, this particular machine is visually smart looking as well. It’s because it’s finished with chrome and a black-silver design. That means having it on your kitchen countertop will increase the visual beauty of your kitchen interior as well.
|No oiling or maintenance is required||The pricing is a bit high|
|Visually very attractive|
|Easy to use|
|Can-opening operation is soft and fast|
2. ZYLISS Electronic Can Opener – Best Simplistic Automatic Can Opener
If you need to open cans on the go, you will need a portable automatic can opener. That’s why I have decided to recommend the ZYLISS Electronic Can Opener. It’s an electric can opener with a very small form factor.
- In order to open cans with this electric can opener, only one tap on a button is enough. Therefore, it’s perfect for arthritis-affected patients.
- In addition, it leaves no sharp edges on the can after it’s done with opening the can. This feature adds to the fact that it’s extremely useful for senior citizens.
- On top of that, you won’t need to use direct electricity to use this automatic can opener. Rather, this machine runs on AA batteries. Hence, it’s perfect for carrying with you while you are traveling.
- Lastly, it comes with 2 years of manufacturer warranty. That means you can use this electric can opener without having to worry about its durability.
|Excellent ergonomic design||You must replace batteries after a few days of usage|
|Extremely easy to clean and use|
|No wire for the electric power supply is needed|
|It’s a handheld device|
3. Hamilton Beach OpenStation Can Opener – Best Multi-opener
If you frequently have to open cans, plastic packages, or bottle caps, you will need a multi-opener device such as the Hamilton Beach 76389R OpenStation Can Opener.
It’s a smart electric can opener that also comes with bottle and plastic package openers (included in the package).
- The thing to note about this tool is that it has a non-slippery finish on its surface. Resultantly, using it is extremely convenient for senior citizens with arthritis problems.
- What’s more, this automatic can opener is perfectly washable. So, even if you accidentally spill some soft drink liquids on this machine, getting it cleaned should not be a problem for you.
- Besides, the whole device only weighs about 1 lb. So, it’s not a hassle to carry it to any place you go, meaning you can also use this device as a portable can opener as well.
- Lastly, it only takes one second to open a can with this electric automatic can opener. Consequently, it’s all the more suited for people with arthritis.
|Suitable for multiple types of application||The warranty is not long|
|Pricing is gentle|
|High price-to-performance ratio|
|Does not cause hand pain/fatigue|
4. Black And Decker Can Opener – Best Under Counter Can Opener
If you don’t want to clutter your kitchen counter with an additional device for opening cans, you can use an under-counter can opener that stays permanently attached under the kitchen counter.
Get to know the Black And Decker Can Opener to have a better idea about this.
- The best thing about this device is that it is extremely convenient to use due to its stationary design. Yes, because it’s stationed at a particular position, it’s easier to open cans with this device.
- Furthermore, this specific automatic can opener is perfectly compatible to be cleaned with dishwashers. That means, cleaning and maintaining it is easy. So, if properly maintained, it will enhance the interior beauty of your kitchen.
- Also, since this is an electric can opener, opening cans with this does not put any strain on the hand joints. Consequently, it’s perfectly safe to use for arthritis patients and senior citizens.
- Moreover, this tool is straightforward to use. So, it’s very convenient to use even for new users who don’t have any prior experience of using automatic can openers.
|Doesn’t get lost (since it’s stationary)||Not portable|
|Less frequent maintenance and cleanup are required||Pricing is higher than usual|
|Easy to clean and maintain|
|Fast can-opening action|
5. Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety LidLifter – Best Handheld Automatic Can Opener
It’s often inconvenient for senior citizens to use heavy can openers. For this reason, you need to buy them handheld automatic can openers that can easily open cans without much effort.
So, for your convenience, we have come up with the Kuhn Rikon LidLifter.
- This can opener has a special lock-on technology that can latch into the can lids and open them within seconds. As a result, there’s no chance of liquid spillage when you are opening a can of soft drink or frozen food.
- Plus, since it’s an automatic can opener, it runs on battery for its can opening action. That means that using it won’t put a heavy strain on the hands of people who are suffering from arthritis.
- Furthermore, this can opener does not spill any liquid while opening the can. So, it ensures full hygiene and is perfect for opening the kids’ food as well.
- Lastly, when opening cans, this can opener does not actually cut-open the tin cans. Instead, it clamps into the edge of the tin lid. Due to this special mechanism, it doesn’t leave any sharp edges when it opens the tin cans. So, using this device ensures that your hand is safe all the time.
|Perfectly handheld operation||Warranty is not provided|
|Pricing is minimal|
|Comes in multiple colors|
6. Tornado F4 Can Opener – Dedicated For Arthritis Patients
At this point, I’d like you to meet a particular handheld automatic can opener that is dedicated to arthritis sufferers. As this device runs on battery, it doesn’t require much effort to use it. So, it is perfect for chronic arthritis patients.
- The first thing that should be noted here about this device is that it works in a completely hand-free mode. This means all you need to do is press a single button on this device to open a metal can.
- What’s more, it fits in the palm nicely and that’s why it’s perfectly portable as well. Moreover, the form factor of this device is so compact that you can effortlessly carry it in your pocket. Thus, it’s extremely suited to use when you are traveling.
- It runs on 3 pieces of AA batteries. As a result, you don’t have to plug it into the electrical outlet for the power supply, which is overwhelmingly convenient.
|Ultra-portable design||Batteries need to be replaced|
|Easy maintenance and clean up|
|Comes in different colors|
7. Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Can Opener – Best For Professional Use
Although this particular can opener is extremely suited for arthritis patients, it also can be used in professional grounds, such as coffee shops, drink cafes, etc. It’s due to the fact that this can opener is equipped with a powerful motor that runs on direct electricity.
- The best aspect of this can opener is that it comes with 3 years of warranty, meaning you can rest assured that you have a durable lifetime with this automatic can opener.
- This can opener stays steady on the counter at all times. As a result, it is easy to make a clean cut on the cans. It, in turn, perfectly prevents all types of sliding and tipping during can opening as well.
- Further, as it can open the metal cans with only one tap on a button, it’s extremely easy to use even for new users too.
- Lastly, it is manufactured with BPA-free material. Consequently, it is perfectly safe for opening all types of food items. Its activation liver can also be easily removed for the purpose of cleaning. Due to this, it’s easy to clean and maintain this device as well.
|Powerful motor provides consistent performance||The device is a bit heavy|
|Fast can opening capability|
|Well suited for opening all sizes of cans|
|Suitable for arthritis-affected patients|
|Ample warranty period|
Buying Guide [What To Look For When Buying Can Opener For Arthritis Patients]
As you can see from the above discussion, it can be difficult to choose a particular can opener from the bunch that is available out there in the current market.
So, to make this job easier for you, we have laid down a few criteria that you should check before buying a particular can opener. Let’s check them out.
1. One tap action:
The can opener that you’re willing to buy for arthritis patients should be able to open the cans with only one tap of a button. Usually, this type of can opener will have a dedicated motor that drives the can opener into opening the cans.
2. Electric power source:
Can opening devices which are suited for arthritis patients should be electronic. These devices might draw power from the socket-outlet, or they might run on a battery.
Now, if you care about portability, you should go ahead and pick a battery-run automatic can opener. On the other hand, in case you want heavy performance, you should pick a can opener that runs on direct electricity.
3. Small form factor:
The can opener should never be such a device that is bulky and inconvenient to handle. That’s why you should always check the body size of the automatic can opener that you are willing to buy for arthritis patients.
If the size of the can opener is smaller than a water jug, it’s fine to pick it for everyday usage. Otherwise, you should look for a smaller device that is both easy to carry and convenient to handle.
4. Precise can opening action:
Some can opener models will make irregular cuts around the cans’ tin lid. As a result, it will leave sharp edges on the can after it is opened. However, good-quality can openers will always make precise and clean cuts that will leave no sharp edges on the tin can lid.
Therefore, before making a particular purchase, you should always check if the can opener you are willing to buy has the capability to perform a clean and neat can-opening or not.
Well, there you have it, people. Now that you’ve got a clear understanding of the best can opener for arthritis-affected people. Hopefully, if you follow the aforementioned guide, you’ll be able to choose the best one that will best fit your needs.
The bottom line of this whole discussion is that you should pick a motor-driven can opener such as the Hamilton Beach (76606ZA) for arthritis-affected people. Or, if you want to buy something portable, you should go for a device like the Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety LidLifter.
Now, if the evaluations we made seem a bit overwhelming to you, you can just pick any product from our recommended list above. We can promise you that you will get lots of bang for your bucks.
Thank you so much for putting lots of effort and time into reading it; you guys are the bee’s knees!!!
Hi, I’m Kimberley. I am a happy and adventurous person who enjoys writing about the finer details of the kitchen niche. My blog is where I can share all my thoughts and opinions with other passionate food lovers like me!
if you’re reading this then it’s probably safe to assume that you’ve stumbled across one of my blogs about the kitchen niche! I love writing informative blogs and review posts for those who are looking for a little bit more information before buying their next product.
Follow me on Twitter